Do I listen to pop music because I'm miserable or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?
- John Cusack
The former applies to me. Since the new school year has started, homework has been pressing on my back so I haven’t got time to relax much. You could say I was rather ‘miserable’. It had been a long time since I plugged my earphones into my ears or even touched my MP3 player. However, I managed to finish my homework for today earlier than usual so I could indulge in my acoustic world.
I searched for my pouch of earphones in the messy pile on my messy desk. Then I saw it—a black velvet cloth peeking from under my textbooks. “There you are!” I said in exhilaration. I never needed to find my MP3 player—it was always in the second drawer on the left side of my desk. I untangled my earphones as I switched on my MP3 player, and the brand logo flashed on the screen.
I plugged my earphones into the player, and starting playing some pop music. I would say that I was connecting my physical self into a machine. A machine that transforms the room to my acoustic world of wonderful sound. I was careful not to play the sound too loud, although it is wrongly believed that you should listen to music at a high volume because it is ‘great’. I tend to forget everything when I’m listening to music. Especially those that are upbeat and fast in tempo.
Another alternative I can take is to listen to the symphonic sounds that are performed by orchestras. This kind of music gives a grand feeling and indescribable assurance when in stress.
I love how time pasts so quickly when I am listening to music, like when I’m in the bus or train. It beats so much boredom out of me. Music is my retreat. What is yours?
326 WORDS



No comments:
Post a Comment